THE PLEA BY ADENIRAN JOSEPH

THE PLEA.













14 February, 2001. It was a day I will never forget, my eyes were stucked in, hands buried under me, as I tried to adjust myself, seeing myself bleeding blood is the last mistake I ever did, but I never regret, at least, I was able to see Dayo and he  just kissed me, not my mouth, but my forehead. That was my first kiss ever.

It all happened many years ago. We were both younger then, he lives at the back of our house in Kano. Anytime I walk out of my house, I see him with his father, on their farm. I never had feelings for him, I see him as a friend from the neighborhood, always smiling, and proving so peace in the heart, he was such a funny person.

"My name is Dayo, and you?", he said, stretching his left hand for a hand shake. I didn't shake him, maybe because I don't like him, or even develop any feelings for him. Ever since he saw me in the neighborhood, he will always wants to hear me speak. So, anytime I see him around, I will just run away, far to where I could hide my face, and avoid seeing him, even though, sometimes, he finds his way to still, see me in some corners in my house. Such a mess in the ass! I don't wanna say, I hate him. He likes to pressure me, holding my hands to speak, and running after me just to get hold of me, I thought he wanted to rape me though. But he never did. He was so protective. He can go beyond his limit just to make me happy.  But I still do not like him.

After some months, my father enrolled me to a primary school. In kano, you should see how everything was like a dream, bigger boys with broad chests like my uncle, those boys were more than my height, I was only a small girl with fair skin that wanted attention.

I could remember, one Friday's sport day, some group of boys wanted to beat me up. I don't know what I did. I guess they wanted to bully me, or let's me say, gain my attention. Maybe that's their own way of asking a girl out.

"Leave her alone!", a boy said, with a heavy voice. It was Dayo again. I could see fire in his eyes, he really wanted to help me like he has always been doing. Even though I was shocked seeing him, same school. But not in the same class. Dayo helped me, he fought for me, he was injured. His eyes got swollen, his left leg got fractured, and his hands couldn't move very well. He lost balance of walking properly. He was just staggering with one leg, and poeple laughing at him. But he never mind, all he wanted was that, I am fine.

"Thank you, Dayo", I said, with a cold voice. Dayo smiled. I guess that was what he was expecting me to do. He wanted to hear me speak. He wanted me to talk, and feel the vibration in my tongue, and how my mouth would produce a word.

On getting home, Dayo's father was pissed off seeing his son beaten up by some so called school boys. No father would see such thing and not get angry, but for his father to take actions on the school authority, he add up more beaten to Dayo for putting up on a fight with his school's friends, not minding his father's reputation either.

I heard him scream from his room, I could hear his voice, striking so hard to my ears. I wanted to run out to tell his father that he never meant to involve in any fight. I wanted to make things right, and wear all possible things to avoid his father beating him. I have never entered their house before, his father didn't know me that much. And I cannot force it to his house.  I wanted to cry too, but the tears were not coming out. I hated myself, because I caused everything. Love could mean nothing to poeple, love could mean, fire, or emptiness. But I knew Dayo loved me, and he proved it. So I wanted to prove it to him, I wanted him to know that for what he did, I have love him too. I wanted to set things right. I wanted him to see my face, as I speak to him. I have never had any feelings for any person that much in my life, or to the extent of showing so much concern. There is more to what love could do.

So, I ran out of the house, when i couldn't take it anymore, running to his house, unknowing a car was coming from behind me with a fast speed, straight to me, as I lost balance when I saw the car. And fell to the ground.


The End.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POETRY INVOICE ON A TALK WITH PRECIOUS PEN

TRILOGY(SPIRITUAL SONGS) BY PRINCE JOE

ADIRE HERITAGE FESTIVAL 2017 BY AHMED JAMIU